Sintered stone (AKA porcelain slab, compact stone, ultra-compact surface) is a relatively new product with few advantages over quartz surface and compressed marble. But what exactly is sintered stone?
If you want to know, the sintered stone is Chinese, called “岩板 Yan Ban”.
What is Sintered Stone?
Sintered stone is made from natural minerals and other materials that are crushed, mixed, and compressed under high pressure (22000 – 28000 tons) and heat (1200℃). The sintering process mimics the natural formation of rocks like granite but in a much shorter time and with more control over the final outcome.
This is how sintered stone gets its name.
The Sintered Stone Colour
Sintered stone can be customized to have different colours, textures, patterns, and finishes. It can imitate the appearance of natural stone, wood, concrete, solid, metal or landscape painting or have its own unique design.
With the latest stone printing technology, The sintered stone could mimic almost any natural stone without a defect.
Sintered stone can also be cut into various shapes and sizes to fit any project.
The Benefits of Using Sintered Stone
Sintered stone has many benefits, making it an ideal choice for indoor and outdoor applications. Some of these benefits are: –
- Water-resistant: Sintered stone does not absorb water or liquids, making it resistant to stains, mould, bacteria, and odours. It is also easy to clean with just water and soap.
- Heat-resistant: The sintered stone can resist up to 300℃ of heat. It’s the highest resistance among other stones.
- Weather-resistant: Sintered stone can withstand extreme temperatures, UV rays, ice, and freezing without cracking, fading, or warping. It is suitable for outdoor use in any climate. For example, it’s best used for facades.
- Scratch-resistant: Sintered stone is very hard and durable, scoring a 7 on the Mohs hardness scale (the same as quartz). It can resist scratches from nails, knives, utensils, or other objects.
- Chemical-resistant: Sintered stone does not react to acids, alkalis, solvents, or cleaning products. It can handle spills of wine, coffee, lemon juice, or bleach without damage.
- Eco-friendly: Sintered stone is made from natural and recycled materials that do not emit harmful substances or gases. It also uses less energy and water during its production than other materials.
The Drawbacks of Using Sintered Stone
However, sintered stone has some drawbacks you should know before choosing it for your project. Some of these drawbacks are: –
- Expensive: Sintered stone is more costly than other materials such as laminate, melamine or solid surface.
- Heavy: Sintered stone is a dense material that can be heavy and difficult to install. It may require professional installation and special tools and equipment. It may also require additional support structures due to its weight and density.
- Prone to damage from impact: Sintered stone can crack or chip if it is hit by a hard object or if the countertop is not properly levelled.
- Costly Repair: It may also be difficult and expensive to repair if damaged.
- Printed designs do not extend through the slab: Sintered stone can have beautiful patterns and textures on its surface, but they do not run through the full thickness of the slab. If the slab is cut or chipped, the underlying layer may not match the surface layer.
What Could Sintered Stone Used For?
Sintered stone is a great alternative to granite, quartz, marble, or porcelain materials. It offers similar or better performance characteristics while being more environmentally friendly and customizable. Sintered stone can be used for a variety of projects, such as: –
- Countertops: Sintered stone can create beautiful and functional countertops for kitchens, bathrooms, bars, or islands. It can handle heat from pots and pans, resist stains and scratches from food and drinks, and offer a hygienic and easy-to-clean surface.
- Flooring: Sintered stone can create durable and elegant flooring for any room or space. It can withstand heavy traffic, resist wear and tear from shoes and furniture, and offer a slip-resistant and comfortable surface.
- Walls: Sintered stone can create stunning and stylish walls for any interior or exterior design. It can add texture, colour, and pattern to any wall while resisting moisture, dirt, and graffiti.- Other surfaces: Sintered stone can be used for other surfaces such as fireplace surrounds, backsplashes, shower panels, pool decks, or outdoor furniture. It can adapt to any shape and size while offering a high-quality and low-maintenance finish.
Sintered stone is a material that combines the best of nature and technology to create a product that is beautiful, durable, versatile, and eco-friendly. If you want to learn more about sintered stone or see some samples of this fantastic material, contact us today. We would love to help you find the perfect sintered stone solution for your home project.